Friday 11 January 2013

3D Pictures Aren't So New!




This isn't so much about the subject, which I believe is the wedding of my Uncle Walter and Aunt Madge sometime during the First World War, judging by the uniforms of the groom and my Uncle Ernie at the back. It is more about the type of photograph.

Recently the BBC have broadcast some programmes in 3D on the HD channel. I havn't got a 3D TV so what I could see were two images on the screen side by side. What it immediately reminded me of was some old pictures we used to have that looked similar. This is one of them. We had a wooden device with a double eyepiece and a place to put the picture about 12 inches away. It was called a Stereoscope Viewer





It looked pretty much like this one , featured in a picture that I have found online. It just goes to show that nothing is really new. The principal of taking two pictures from two cameras from slightly different angles was established at least 100 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment