Friday 4 January 2013

Beatlemania



In 1963 (I think) I was a member of The Hornets Youth Club at West Horndon. One of our group outings was to the New Musical Express Poll Winners Concert at The Empire Pool, Wembley (now Wembley Arena). We didn't know it at the time but we were watching a bit of history. On the bill were The Beatles,  Cliff Richard, The Shadows, Billy Fury, Dusty Springfield and Gerry and the Pacemakers plus other big names of the time. I don't suppose there were many occasions when such "big names" were on the same stage on the same day. This photograph was published in the Daily Mirror and shows half a dozen members of our group. The 19 year old lad you can see on the right is me, and next to me my wife-to-be Pauline.
Next to her is one of the Club Leaders with his fingers in his ears, not because he didn't like the music, but because of the deafening screams coming from most of the girls in audience. The three main subjects of the photo are girls from our party, whose faces I remember but  whose names I have mainly forgotten, although the one on the Left was named Leftley.

This link to YouTube shows the 1965 concert but will give you a good idea what it was like


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGWmofOiNJs

No comments:

Post a Comment