Wednesday 2 January 2013

Every Picture Tells a Story - The Studebaker and the Grand National

This is my fourth blog and is based around my own family history. It will not be in any particular order but will be more of a lucky dip from my photo archives. When I say "archive" what I actually mean is an untidy drawer full of old photographs. I will try to select pictures that I actually know something about. Those taken in my own lifetime will be a bit easier as I was probably there. Pictures taken pre-war will rely on stories I have been told by others.


This first picture was taken just before World War II probably in 1939. It shows my father, Fred Fuller, at a time when he was working as a Chauffeur. The car is a Studebaker. In the USA where it was built it was called the Studebaker Dictator, however this was a sensitive time and "Dictator" had connotations that weren't acceptable here, so in the UK it was known as the Studebaker Director.
It belonged to someone who's name I don't know, but I recall my father telling me that the chap owned at least one racehorse. On one occasion my father drove his employer to Aintree for the Grand National where he had a runner. Unfortunately the horse fell at the first fence.

Here is a link to YouTube showing the race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=bY5OUQNYq_8

No comments:

Post a Comment